The American West Center at the University of Utah is pleased to offer two graduate student fellowships for research on the American West during the 2019-2020 academic year. The fellowships honor the late Professor Floyd A. O'Neil (1927 - 2018), Director Emeritus of the Center and Professor Emeritus of History.
O'Neil fellowships provide up to $2,000 to pursue research on an aspect of the American West, including the region’s history, politics, environment, society, culture, literature, geography, or peoples. Students from all disciplines are encouraged to submit applications. All applicants must be currently enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Utah and remain so throughout the period of the fellowship.
Students are required to complete a research paper within the academic year. This
paper may also be used as a seminar paper, thesis chapter, journal article, etc. A
copy of the paper must be given to the American West Center, and the student is required
to acknowledge the American West Center’s support in that paper, and all subsequent
research and publications that might result. The recipient will also give a presentation
on their research in Spring 2020. Upon request the recipient may be provided office
space at the Center and may receive individual guidance from the Center's faculty
Hannah Smay receives 2018-19 Floyd O'Neil fellowship
How to Apply
To apply, submit the following:
- A completed application form
- A research proposal, including a budget outlining how the research funds will be spent (up to four pages)
- One letter of recommendation from an academic source
- Current transcript
Recipients will be selected on the following criteria:
- The applicant demonstrates scholarly potential
- The scholarly significance of the project
- The applicant demonstrates knowledge of source materials related to the proposal
- The applicant clearly states her/his research question
- The American West is a central focus of the research project
Application materials should be submitted to Michelle Judd at email@example.com or mailing address: Michelle Judd, University of Utah, American West Center, 1995 de Trobriand St., FD618C, Salt Lake City, UT 84113 by May 17th, 2019.